Tuesday 5 August 2014

Prelude to The Fantasia of the Moonlit World



The Old One Speaks
          I remember it clearly, the day it happened… the day the Old One spoke. Had I not witnessed it myself, I would never have believed it. The truth is, on that day, nothing out of the ordinary really occurred. It was simply that I saw things more clearly. Thinking back on it, I feel that that day just proved where ignorance is bliss, knowledge is poison.

          It was a depressing day. News about the impending war went on eternally, as if set to an infinite loop. Crime was at its peak, and that didn’t really help the mood. Those were bleak times, and I needed to take my mind off the seemingly hopeless situation that seemed to be developing.

          At times like those, my favorite retreat was the cliff-top. The cliff overlooked both the Cheshire Sea and my hometown of Pandora. There would always be a gentle breeze, and standing there made me feel that the all my sorrows caught the wind and flew away into the distance. So I made my way to the small path that led up the cliff.

          I heard it before I saw it. At first, it seemed to be the wind, blowing through the crevices. But as I got closer to the top, it took clearer definition- the voice of a man. I finally hauled myself onto the clearing. There, at the very edge of the cliff, stood the old priest, whose name nobody knew, despite the fact that he was the head priest of the church and had been so for over a decade now. He appeared to be in a trance, talking to himself-

          “…… will not last long. This world is doomed. Chaos will overthrow order. The Fall is inevitable, heroes will fail. The darkest hour is approaching, and the gods abandon us. And but one hero, haunted by dreams will rise above the decay, and inherit the cruel fate of mankind. Only he can……”

          He spoke as if he were possessed. I felt obliged to interrupt him, not wanting to hear more of…… more of whatever it was that he was speaking of. And as I got closer, the air turned colder. Before I got to him, he turned. And I saw it in his eyes- a glow so old, so impressive, I cannot compare it to anything. And then he spoke the words which haunt me to this day, for the way he spoke them-

          “The Old One speaks. I hear his voice, carried by the zephyr.”

          For three months, I had terrible nightmares about the incident. I couldn’t even bring myself to enter the church again. I couldn’t make sense of what he’d said, but I still felt scared at the thought itself. But it wasn’t until the war began that I came to realize what words meant.

          Being an ill-protected part of the nation, the enemy army landed in Pandora, by the very sea that had protected us for so long. And then it happened. All the people who were precious to me, all that I loved, all that I cared for stood on the brink of destruction. That’s when the ever gentle zephyr turned violent, as if sensing the urgency of the situation. I began to bend around me blowing for all that it was worth, till I could no longer see what was around. I couldn’t feel the sun above me, or the ground blow me, just the wind around me.

When it finally cleared, I found myself in the middle of a vast expanse of desert-land, devoid, utterly, of any life save for myself. The sun glared down upon the…..
(Compiled from the last pages of the diary of Yamato, of Pandora, the one who restored peace to the world by inheriting a dreadful prophecy which was originally intended for the entire human race. He was the hero who rose above all and alone bore the burden of humanity’s fate)

Tune in on Sunday (10/08/2014) for the first chapter of The Fantasia of the Moonlit World
(chapter 1- "The Profound Night") 

1 comment: