Friday 15 August 2014

Freedom to me would be…



Freedom to me would be…
Everybody that day spoke about independence, the freedom struggle and the liberty that we possess today.

I wondered what freedom really meant to me…   
     I definitely walked without any fear of rogues or someone coming and jailing me without a reason. Our freedom fighters had fought against a lot of wrongs so that our generation enjoys the freedom of thought, expression and religion.

Our great leader, Rabindranath Tagore’s quote viz.
“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.”
, Has been achieved of course. But talking about a specific individual what does freedom mean I wondered...
My inner self Miss evil kept telling Miss angel those crazy ideas that I had always wanted to do, some of which included yelling out loud in the night in the middle of the road, Commenting loudly with my friends in the theatre and a lot that way (I know they do sound stupid). But miss angel had always intervened thinking about the freedom of the society.
Speaking about my age, what about the freedom that the 12th grade students are deprived of. As soon as a student reaches this grade in the science stream, the Indian society imposes restrictions and asks them to sacrifice most of their hobbies. The teachers are also of the opinion that we should be confined to just bookish knowledge, any freedom of thought even in our language papers are inhibited!!(And everybody does know the extent of our creativity of course :P)
At least my friends enjoy my freedom of thought when I put forth these expressions and have a hearty laugh!!
          The digital gadgets also to some extent have made us as their slaves. We are so deeply addicted to them that we cannot think of lives without them. I would say if I spend a day in the forest without a single digital or modern substance and survive without Google and the idiot box, I probably would enjoy every single minute that I have, AND THAT IS WHAT I WOULD CALL FREEDOM!!! :-P :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment