Saturday 6 February 2016

It Froze Before My Eyes

It Froze Before My Eyes



It’s always winter where I come from,
And always darkness where I live.
Light, I can’t get in this storm.
Warmth, I can never give.
I was used to the dark,
The frost was fine with me.
Light, I never tried to seek,
Nor did it ever find me.
Then one night I saw a spark,
Such a beautiful sight.
I ran and ran through the dark
Towards the glowing light.

The closer I reached, the more I felt,
Both its heat and glow.
All the ice started to melt,
And my heartbeat went slow.
Reached at last, where it was lit.
Saw something I never desired.
Yet could not take my eyes off it,
Such was this warm fire.
Spent all my time in its warmth.
The best time I ever had.
Would talk to it for hours and hours,
And it would answer back.
Then suddenly, saw it freeze.
Went out without a shimmer.
Couldn’t see the light anymore,
Not even a single glitter.

Realised then, it wasn’t the flame,
But the frozen one was me.
Never was I meant for the light
So I should let it be.
Darkness is where I belong.
The frost itself is me.
Though bits of warmth I still can feel,
The flame I will never see.
Neel J Sattigiri

No comments:

Post a Comment